Germany is one of Europe’s leading forces in the ‘renewable revolution’. A revolution started by the Green party in the 1980’s was carried forward by Angela Merkel, known as the Climate Chancellor. After the Fukushima disaster in Japan she decided to phase out all nuclear power plants and focused on the Energiewende, the planned transition towards renewable energy. Merkel maintained her international engagement in cutting emissions achieving in sourcing 30% of Germany’s power sustainably. Converting the remaining 70% to green energy is planned and under way. The German Federal Ministry for the Environment aims to run Germany solely on renewable energy and make its economy climate-neutral by 2050.
In order to achieve this humungous task of transformation, there will be a great need for energy engineers. The country’s focus on developing green technologies is supported by the education industry and its educational institutions have been preparing for this. Germany, in the process, has gained a reputation as one of the best places in the world to study renewable energy.
The biggest challenge will be to store, transport and distribute the renewable energy. The economy will rely on the German universities to prepare the workforce to create solutions and technologies to overcome these challenges.
The major wind mill parks are located in the coastal region of northern Germany. So the universities in the northern part of Germany like Hamburg University of Applied Sciences, Kiel University, University of Kassel would be good for studying renewable energy besides Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, RWTH, TU Munich and University of Stuttgart.
To find employment, some of the companies for wind energy are: Gamesa, Suzlon, GE Wind Energy, Vestas, Windworld. For solar energy, Sunedison, First Solar, Belectric, DuPont, Trina, SMA are some of the global leaders.